General Election Information
2018 General Election
The Advanced Voting Opportunity will be held on October 10, 2018.
The General Local Government Election will be held on October 20, 2018.
Qualified Electors of the District of Houston on October 20, 2018 will elect the following positions for a (4) four-year term ending in October 2022:
- (1) Mayor
- (6) Councillors
- (1) School District No. 54 – Trustee (subject to the School Act)
Please see Declaration of Candidates - District of Houston
for information on the candidates.
For more information visit:
General Local Elections Process
School District No. 54 Trustee Election
School District #54 (Bulkley Valley) is hosting an information evening for individuals who may be interested in becoming a School Board Trustee. The information evening will be held Thursday, September 6th, 2018 at 7:00 P.M. at the School Board Office, 1235 Montreal Street, Smithers, B.C. For more information see the SD54 School Board Trustee Information Evening or contact Dave Margerm, Secretary Treasurer, School District #54 (Bulkley Valley) at 250-877-6820.
For more information on the School District No. 54 trustee election visit:
Key 2018 Local Government Election Dates
British Columbia School Trustees Association - A Guide for School Trustee Candidates.
Government of British Columbia - School Trustee Election Procedures
2018 General Local Elections Timeline
General Local Election Calendar
- ELECTION PERIOD: Monday, January 1, 2018 – Friday, September 21, 2018. The period that begins on January 1 and ends on the 29th day before General Voting Day for general local elections.
- NOMINATION PERIOD: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:00 A.M. – Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:00 P.M. The nomination period is the only time during which the local Chief Election Officer is permitted to accept nomination documents from nominees for office.
- DECLARATION OF CANDIDATES: Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:00 P.M. Following the end of nomination period all nominees are declared candidates. If there are fewer candidates than positions to be elected, the nomination period is extended to September 17 at 4:00 p.m. local time, at which time all subsequent nominees are also declared candidates. Notice of the extension of nominations must be published if reasonably possible.
- CAMPAIGN PERIOD: Saturday, September 22, 2018 – Saturday, October 20, 2018. The period that begins on the 28th day before General Voting Day and ends at the close of voting on General Voting Day.
- DECLARATION OF ELECTION BY VOTING OR ACCLAMATION: Monday, September 24, 2018.
- ALL CANDIDATES FORUM: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 *This event is being organized by the District of Houston Chamber of Commerce - contact: Houston & District Chamber of Commerce P: 250-845-7640 E:email@example.com for more information.
- ADVANCED VOTING OPPORTUNITY: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 from 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. at the District of Houston Municipal Office – 3367 12 Street
- GENERAL VOTING DAY: Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. at the Houston Community Hall – 2302 Butler Ave
- LAST DAY FOR DECLARATION OF OFFICIAL ELECTION RESULTS: Deadline to declare official election results is 4:00 p.m. local time. The local chief election officer may make the declaration of official election results at any time in the period between the close of general voting (October 20) and this time and date.
- CAMPAIGN FINANCING DISCLOSURE STATEMENT FILING DEADLINE: Friday, January 18, 2019
- CAMPAIGN FINANCING DISCLOSURE STATEMENT LATE FILING DEADLINE with $500.00 FILING FEE: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Jessica Bagnall, Corporate Officer/Chief Elections Officer
PO Box 370 | Houston, BC | V0J 1Z0
3400 14th Street