General Election Information
2018 General Election
The Advanced Voting Opportunity will be held on October 10, 2018.
The General Local Government Election will be held on October 20, 2018.
Qualified Electors of the District of Houston on October 20, 2018 will elect the following positions for a (4) four-year term ending in October 2022:
- (1) Mayor
- (6) Councillors
- (1) School District No. 54 – Trustee (subject to the School Act)
For more information on the School District No. 54 trustee election visit sd54.bc.ca
and the British Columbia School Trustees Association - A Guide for School Trustee Candidates
For more information visit:
Key 2018 Local Government Election Dates
General Local Elections Process
School Trustee Election Procedures
2018 General Local Elections Timeline
General Local Election Calendar
- ELECTION PERIOD: Monday, January 1, 2018 – Friday, September 21, 2018
- NOMINATION PERIOD: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:00 A.M. – Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:00 P.M. Nominations are effective upon delivery to the chief election officer or a person designated by the chief election officer.
- DECLARATION OF CANDIDATES: Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:00 P.M. Following the end of nomination period all nominees are declared candidates. If there are fewer candidates than positions to be elected, the nomination period is extended to September 17 at 4:00 p.m. local time, at which time all subsequent nominees are also declared candidates. Notice of the extension of nominations must be published if reasonably possible.
- CAMPAIGN PERIOD: Saturday, September 22, 2018 – Saturday, October 20, 2018
- DECLARATION OF ELECTION BY VOTING OR ACCLAMATION: Monday, September 24, 2018
- ALL CANDIDATES FORUM: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 *This event is being organized by the District of Houston Chamber of Commerce - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- ADVANCED VOTING OPPORTUNITY: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 from 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. at the District of Houston Municipal Office – 3367 12 Street
- GENERAL VOTING DAY: Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. at the Houston Community Hall – 2302 Butler Ave
- LAST DAY FOR DECLARATION OF OFFICIAL ELECTION RESULTS: Deadline to declare official election results is 4:00 p.m. local time. The local chief election officer may make the declaration of official election results at any time in the period between the close of general voting (October 20) and this time and date.
- CAMPAIGN FINANCING DISCLOSURE STATEMENT FILING DEADLINE: Friday, January 18, 2019
- CAMPAIGN FINANCING DISCLOSURE STATEMENT LATE FILING DEADLINE with $500.00 FILING FEE: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Jessica Bagnall, Corporate Officer/Chief Elections Officer
PO Box 370 | Houston, BC | V0J 1Z0
3400 14th Street