Home Owner Grants

Home Owner Grant

As of 2021, the Home Owner Grant claims process is now a centralized service provided by the Province of BC. Applications can be filled out online through a new platform, and homeowners should contact 1-888-355-2700 to speak with a Provincial agent, or visit their website at to access support services for filing an application.

The Home Owner Grant is a Provincial Government program designed to help homeowners with their property taxes. You must apply for the grant each year. To be eligible, you must occupy the home as your Principal residence.

Principal Residence is generally defined as the usual place that you make your home. It’s where you live and conduct your daily affairs, like paying bills and receiving mail, and it’s generally the residence used in your government records for things like your income tax, medical services plan, driver's licence and vehicle registration.

The Home Owner Grant must be claimed by July 31 of the current taxation year to avoid the 10% penalty. To obtain the grant you must apply online or you can visit a Service BC location.

If your mortgage company or another agent pays your property taxes, it is still your responsibility to claim the Home Owner's Grant.

If you did not claim your Home Owner's Grant for the previous year and you were and still are living in your principle residence, you may be able to claim your grant retroactively. This claim must be made before December 31 of the current taxation in order to be eligible.

There are two categories of grants which may reduce a home owner's property taxes:

  • Basic Grant up to $770 (with a minimum $350 payment)
  • Additional Grant up to and additional $275 (for a maximum reduction of $1,045)

To qualify for the additional grant you must be:

  • 65 years of age or over;
  • a person with disabilities or the spouse or relative of a person with permanent disability (your physician must complete a "Certificate of Person with Disabilities and Property Owner Form" (Form B);
  • in receipt of a disability allowance or benefit under the Disability Benefits Program Act (you must enclose a letter from the Ministry of Human Resources confirming your eligibility); or
  • receiving an allowance under the War Veteran Allowance Act (Canada) or the Merchant Navy Veteran and Civilian War-related Benefits Act (Canada) (provide a copy of your most recent cheque stub - War Disability Pensions do not apply).

For additional information, please contact the Home Owner Grant Administration at 1-888-355-2700 or the Province of BC.

Copyright © 2024 District of Houston - All Rights Reserved
Site By Trinex Internet Solutions - Admin  |  ID 38  Last Updated: Jan 3, 2024